Pages

Friday, June 1, 2012

Our First House Hunting Let Down

Let me just start by saying this: It's not as bad as it sounds. It's Friday, the sun is shining and I got a free doughnut at Dunkins this morning in honor of National Doughnut Day. All is good in the free world. That's why I'm only slightly disappointed that the offer we put on a house we really loved was not accepted.
Dream house, I know you're out there! 

Let me paint a picture for you: It was a charming Cape with lots of space, a pretty fire place and a dining room. Check, check, check. The upstairs bathroom featured a major bonus—a jacuzzi. And there was an additional 500 square feet and a wet bar downstairs thanks to a beautifully finished basement. The neighborhood was perfect and the schools all checked out.

But I guess someone else loved it more—nine thousand dollars more than we did.

I'm a little bummed. I was already picturing family movie nights and backyard cook outs. In my head I had already made close friends with all the neighbors. I'd invite our new couple friends over for a glass of chardonnay and entertain them with hilarious stories and everyone would laugh and think, "Man, are we glad they bought this house!"

I know that this is not a bad thing. I know there is another house and another neighborhood and other cool couples to entertain on our back patio. I know that when people say this happened for a reason they are right.

I just hope that the reason appears sooner rather than later. Design Star just started again and I'm dying to start decorating!

If you have ever had an offer turned down, tell me how you got over it. What kept your spirits up? And how did you stay patient during the hunt?

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm sorry. I have never been through this myself from my friends & family who have house hunted (many for 12+ months), they say all the disappoints lead to the perfect house you are meant to have. It's waiting for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't meant to be. The neighbors were probably nuts, and the basement would have water after spring rains! Be patient!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe, you'll find a better house for your family. You don't have to worry about it, I'm pretty sure you will. If you’d ask me on how would I buy my time while waiting for the right house, my answer would be this: I'll surf the Internet for houses that are available for sale within the vicinity of my community. Doing that should make life easier to visit the house personally, thus making you more excited while seeing different houses.

    ReplyDelete