Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Problem: Wrong bra size. Solution: An Intimate Affair in NYC

Let’s get to know each other a little better, shall we? If you’ve stopped by this here blog more than once you probably know that I’m not a full time blogger, but that I make a living as a magazine writer and editor. Which magazine? Well The Lingerie Journal to be exact. It’s an online trade publication for professionals in the intimate apparel industry. It gives me the chance to talk with retailers and manufacturers and learn a thing or two about how they run their businesses and it also lets me spend some time drooling over the latest lingerie styles. I love fashion to pieces, but I think I love intimate apparel more. Lace, ruffles and chiffon all make me melt a little whenever I see them. And then I usually buy them. There are several drawers dedicated to my underwear in our house.

 
Now that we’re a bit more acquainted, let’s talk a little bit about intimates. I feel like we’re close enough to talk about this stuff now, don’t you? My good friend Moira of Bra La Mode just told me about a bra fitting event she’s hosting at Bra*Tenders in New York City on January 29. I’m really excited about this event because not enough brides give wedding day intimates their due credit and I think this is just the thing to make people realize how very important they are. The reporter in me needed to know more so I picked up the phone and called Lori Kaplan, the owner of Bra*Tenders to learn about what she’s doing for women. She had this to say: “A lot of seamstresses will tell a bride to come to her first fitting with the undergarments she is going to wear with the dress. The dress will fit a completely different way without them and this is sometimes a huge awakening for a bride.”

What’s really shocking is that it’s not only brides who don’t consider intimates enough. Most women are wearing the wrong bra size, Lori says. “The right bra can make you look ten pound thinner and ten years younger in one minute. It makes a woman feel more confident and a woman who feels good about herself will go out and do good things in the world.”

Whoa.

Will the right size bra help you find the cure to cancer? Maybe. Lori mentioned one customer, a makeup artist, who was wearing the wrong size bra. “The back was riding up and the straps were falling down and she ended up spending the whole day fidgeting with her bra.” So if you’re a cancer research doctor, I suggest you book an appointment with Lori right away.

Here’s how you’ll know if your bra is the wrong size:
-You have side-boob.
-Your boobs are spilling out the side.
-You have four boobs instead of two.
-Your boobs bounce A LOT when you move.

If you’ve experienced any of these boob symptoms, it might mean you’re wearing a bra that’s too big or too small. But don’t let me be the judge of that—speak to the expert.

ATTEND: Bra La Mode’s Intimate Affair at Bra*Tenders 630 Ninth Avenue at 44th street in NYC. January 29, 2012 @ 12:00. 


RSVP here. Then tell me, are you wearing the right size bra?

1 comment:

  1. Check out this video on YouTube and see stylist Tiffani Moore's revelation about her own bra size!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrmj6cGUoGU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

    As fashion guru Tim Gunn says : "You cannot build on a rocky foundation".

    ReplyDelete