Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

What Did You Wear Beneath Your Gown?

I need your help today, ladies. I’m curious to know what you wore—or are wearing—under your wedding gown. I’m a big believer that the right undergarments make an outfit. And I think we all put some thought into what we wear under our clothes each day. This morning, for example, I had selected a cheery yellow bra only to find that the color showed through my blouse. That was not going to work. So let’s talk about wedding day foundations.

I hadn’t thought much about what I would wear under my gown. (That’s not entirely true, I wanted a baby blue Hanky Panky.) Luckily, I had a wonderful seamstress who thought of this for me. When I went for my first dress fitting I was instructed to bring my shoes and my undergarments. I brought shoes. My dress felt like a suit of armor, I didn’t think I’d need anything under it. As the pinning and tucking began, the seamstress asked again about undergarments. I was barely filling out the dress and she said that if I wanted any cleavage I’d need a bra. Well, duh? I thought. Why would I think my gown would take on the work of a bra? She clipped me into a longline bra from Le Mystere, and sewed some extra pads in for good measure. It was the icing on the cake. Wait, let’s try that again. It was the icing on the cupcakes. I was now officially stacked and the bust of my dress didn’t dent in where boobs were supposed to be anymore.

The bra cost about $130, which is more than I’d typically spent on a bra. But in the end it was so worth it. The bra not only made the dress, it made several other dresses I’ve worn since. In September I wore it under a bridesmaid dress in my best friend’s wedding. When I first tried the dress on without the bra, it slumped down and almost fell off, but it fit like a glove with the bra on. “That’s why it’s so important to bring the undergarments you’re going to wear to each fitting,” said my tailor. When I suggested I may or may not wear Spanx under my dress, too, he just shook his head. You’d think I would have learned by now!


So tell me. What did you—or are you planning to—wear under your wedding gown? Leave your comments below!

5 comments:

  1. I fretted about this for a while. I wanted to be comfortable all day, but also wanted there to be a bit of a "big reveal" when my husband took the dress off. I wanted to be fancy, not utilitarian. This translated to no stockings, a garter (but not a garter belt), lacy white comfortable panties, and a lacy white longline bra.

    I don't know why I hemmed and hawed for so long, the final look was pretty straightforward. I was successfully sexy and comfortable at the same time. I guess whether or not I'd wear stockings or a garter belt was my main hangup.

    Brides, save the potentially uncomfortable pieces for the honeymoon and beyond. Go with what you know you'll feel and look good in and what won't make you uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice! I think there are lots of supportive, yet sexy options out there for brides.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wore a fun bra & undies which were hidden under a Spanx slip that was recommended for my dress. Sexy it wasn't but it made my dress & me look our best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That bra made you look ravishing in your dress (not that you wouldn't anyway, but you know what I mean!) And as for that september wedding, the bra really adding something special to that dress! ;)

    I just wore a seamless thong (because my dress was so tight). No need for a bustier... my dress had one inside it. My seamstress just added a bit more padding to show off the girls and I was good to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a lace thong that said I Do with crystals. My seamstress was supposed to sew cups in my dress but we didn't think to check when we picked up the dress. I was worried about being late so I didn't even end up noticing when I first got dressed. It wasn't until after the ceremony I realized and at that point it didn't even matter.

    ReplyDelete